Tuesday, July 03, 2012

labor and a hint of glamor

a hint of glamor on my face


the guy behind the guy

 I hung my first solo photography show this weekend! The whole thing was super-DIY due to being broke, car-less and inundated with library school/work, so I am especially grateful to my mother and husband for their help, which ranged from graphic design to childcare to framing to driving up steep hills, phobias be damned.

It was really affirming to see my name displayed on a wall alongside a few of my photographs. Which.seemed.really.odd. I mean, whatever my son scribbles his name in crayon on his bedroom wall and that's probably affirming to him too.

I guess I needed to feel like it was worth it, like the money/energy/time-scraping and wagon-pulling mandated some kind of emotional reward. I had no idea how much work it is to pull together a small show!

on display for July and August 2012
So, it'll be up for July and August if you want to go check it out.The library is an intimate and familiar space and the librarians are nice. They have a killer story-time on Thursday mornings as well as some funny-ass romance titles. Here's more info about the show:

These photographs represent a series I call Cloud Sidewalk that I shot in one day late in 2007 when my son was about 8 months old. As a new stay-at-home mom acclimating to the needs of my infant son, I found myself traversing the same streets of my Oakland neighborhood. While I was initially frustrated by this new pace, I eventually learned a fortuitous lesson about slowing down. These photographs were a way to remind myself to enjoy the details. By examining daily details on a granular level, my intent was to notice the minutiae of what we miss each day in our hurrying. All images were shot on on Fuji Provia 35mm slide film.

No comments: